Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Blog Post #7

Classroom instruction is constantly changing and improving due to technology. In order for technology to be effective an educator must be willing and anxious to learn and teach with it. For me as a college student and future educator, it is important to me to know all that I can about the technology that is being used in schools today and could be used in the near and distant future. In order for me to learn more about the technology being used for classroom instruction I need to not only research them but also use the tools myself. I need to get familiar with how they work and all the features that they contain.

In the video, Using iMovie and the Alabama Virtual Library in Kindergarten, it is said that kindergartners are already using iMovie to create book trailers for books they have read. Being a Senior in college and knowing that I just learned how to do this myself makes me realize that my generation, is in fact, extremely behind. I think it is absolutely wonderful that kindergartners are allowed to be so creative with technology and that they love to edit their book trailers. When a student is eager and excited to learn, it makes an educators job not only easier but more rewarding too.
http://wordlesstech.com/2013/04/29/classroom-technology-turning-our-kids-into-nerds-infographic/

We All Become Learners was a great video! I believe 100% that even though we are educators, we are also learners. Just like the student teaching Ms. Michele Bennett about using the camera on the iPad, she was a learner in that moment. We never stop learning from others, even if we intend to or not.

I enjoyed watching iPads in the Classroom. Seeing educators taking advantage of the new technology provided to them and their students is proof that it is a good thing. I hope that all schools will be able to implement the technology used in the video soon. I especially loved that the iPads were used for special needs learners who have trouble speaking.

http://jmtrom.blogspot.com/2012/02/tech-in-classroom-and-anthropological.html
I like that the video, Top 10 Reasons to Use Technology in Education, pointed out that using technology in the classroom is an initial cost up front but it is worth it in the long run. The first reason that is given is one of the most important to me, which is that students love it. Since students tend to always be up-to-date with the technology outside of the classroom, it is fun for them to be able to use it in the classroom too. This gets them excited and more willing to do the projects assigned to them. It sounds silly now, but when I was in grade school, I remember being thrilled to use a computer, even if it were only to take a test on a book that I read. I can only imagine what it is like now for students getting to work with technology to complete projects and other tasks in the classroom.



1 comment:

  1. Lydia,
    You are absolutely correct this generation is behind, when it comes to technology. As future teachers, we should take the initiative and learn how to use technology now. I used to get excited too, when I was allowed to take a test on the computer. If students know how to do these things now, just wait until a few years from now when there is new and improved ways to use technology.

    ReplyDelete